Translate

Thursday 19 April 2012

Warm Welcome from Wogarella



A Wogarella means embracing both my background and the Strayian’ way of life.  

What is a Wogarella you ask? Let's try to avoid being politically correct for a minute and admit that I am a first generation Australian girl with Lebanese/Syrian Background. I have brown eyes and brown hair. I reside in Western Sydney. Sounds common right? Not quite. I'm torn in between two worlds. The gender equality and feminist values that I have learned in Australia are constantly at odds with the traditions of my family and heritage. I'm trying my best, people won't always understand, but join me on this journey. Unlike many Arab girls I don't just want to live the life my mother lived. Not that I can undermine my mum, her strength, integrity and dry sense of humour has helped me form into the confused little Wogarella I am today. You see, like most Gen Y-ers I want to excel, yet still keep my family values with me as I embark on life as a 20 something year old. It's a little difficult to describe myself. I'm a walking contradiction really. I have random obsessions. Magazines being my main. Which is why I've chosen to work in the industry. My celeb obsessions stem from the very first Magazine my mother bought me at 8 years of age, NW of course. (Feel free to judge). 

Celebrity obsessions include, Mariah Carey, Miranda Kerr, Mila Kunis, Taylor Swift, Nicole Richie, all of the Home and Away peeps and many, many more. The list changes daily, so I will keep you updated.
Although I enjoy making Tabouli on weekends, I'm the first one to confront my family members in regards to gender roles and complain about a community which is so behind in so many ways, yet I still feel a sense of loyalty to and try my best to defend them when they're being victimised. I obsess about Taylor swift. I feel as though I can relate to her. Despite the fact that she's white and I’m black. Well olive, but that's another story altogether. 

Unlike most Lebanese girls from the burbs I don't swoon over boys with fully sick cars and mullets. Intelligent men with a decent sense of humour usually release the flutterbies in my tummy. I must admit, I wear a lot of gold accessories, but I promise to never get rid of my beloved shellac nails for the atrocious long acrylics worn by most Wogarellas. 

Now if you’ve managed to keep that attention span going, well done! We need to get down to the nitty-gritty stuff. I’m not going to lie, my posts will very much work in the same way as my brain, randomly. I will be posting whatever comes to my mind. Anything from great foods, to interesting experiences I have on my Westie train lines to great beauty products I just can’t get over. To be honest, I’m going to ensure you, my lovely readers will be listening, as I share with you my most bizarre life stories and adventures. 

Now if this doesn’t tell you enough, I have included an image and a description of my self by two very credible sources below.




Wogarella’s Mum: She’s a dreamer. I wish I never bought her that magazine. She makes me listen to Mariah in the car all the time. Too passionate, over the top, God bless her. Suffers from OCD. Has an overflowing beauty cupboard, I swear I will start binning these products whether they’re Chanel or Revlon.


Taylor Swift: Abi is my biggest fan, she’s borderline obsessed with me. My security guards have her name on file, so rest assured. But besides that, she’s cool! So read her blogs. *Strums Guitar

Wogarella,

With two X’s of course!

No comments:

Post a Comment